CellarScience® Oxblox 3D Dissolved Oxygen Reducer:
- Easily added to mash water to reduce oxidation in finished beer
- Scavenges oxygen in mash water
- Reduces Lipoxygenase (Lox) activity in malt which reduces trans-2-nonenal stale/cardboard flavors in beer
- Reduces hot side aeration
- Results in beer with fresher flavor and longer shelf life
Oxblox 3D is a specially formulated blend of gallotannins, ascorbic acid, and metabisulphite that is added to your strike water right before mash-in. It dissolves easily and is extremely useful to reduce oxidation during the mashing process. Through multiple actions, it reduces dissolved oxygen levels and helps inhibit the lipoxygenase enzyme found in malt that is infamous for causing downstream wet paper / cardboard flavors attributed by the (E)-2-nonenal compound.
You may not always notice stale flavor compounds in beer when present, especially at low levels. But when removed, the beer can smell and taste fresher. Beer treated with Oxblox also has an enhanced shelf life, staying fresher for longer.
Overall, Oxblox 3D is a low cost, easy-to-use addition to help you brew better tasting beer that lasts longer in keg, can, or bottle.
Mix 0.2 to 0.4 g per gal (0.05 to 0.1 g per liter) into your strike water directly before dough-in. We recommend starting with a dosage of 0.3 g per gallon of strike water (0.08 g per liter of strike water) and adjust as desired in future batches.