What exactly IS Kombucha?
Kombucha is a slightly sweet, slightly sour, and slightly carbonated beverage made via an almost simultaneously occurring double fermentation process. Learn more with our extensive Kombucha Guide.
To get Kombucha, a SCOBY (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast) ferments sweetened tea (Camellia sinensis). The yeast will ferment the sugar in the solution to alcohol, and the bacteria will ferment the alcohol into vinegar. These two fermentations give Kombucha its signature sweet-tang flavor. The tea supplies vital nutrients to support the SCOBY, which is why sugar water won’t produce Kombucha – it can’t! In short, to get Kombucha you have to be a SCOBY farmer, and this kit is set up to allow you to do so with ease.
What’s in the F.H. Steinbart Company and Lion Heart Kombucha starter kit?
- Kombucha fermentation jar with stainless steel spigot
- Lion Heart SCOBY – from their SCOBY “farm”
- 2.5 cups of organic cane sugar
- 3 oz. of organic tea – a 50/50 blend of Assam black and Sencha green teas
- Stick on thermometer to monitor fermentation temperatures
- A reusable 4×7 nylon bag for steeping tea
- Food-grade, no rinse sanitizer to minimize possible contaminants
- Fine weave cheesecloth to cover the jar during fermentation
- A detailed instruction booklet